Praying Mantis Food
What Do Praying Mantises Eat?
(click each food item below to order)
First off, praying mantises are voracious eaters. They need PLENTY of food or they will become weak and die.
Here are some living insects that make excellent feeders for our mantis friends:
- Fruit Flies - Wingless d. Melanogaster
- These make the BEST food available online to feed newborn nymphs because they are active wanders, which is perfect for the mantis that waits in ambush.
- Fruit Flies - Flightless d. Hydei - At around 1/8'',
these are twice as big as the d. Melanogaster flies and should be added to the juveniles' diet when they are about two weeks old.
- Silkworms - These are an excellent feeder because
they are so high in nutrition. Your mantids will grow like magic.
We offer all sizes, from extra small to large, so silkworms can be fed to all mantises. Feed nymphs the extra smalls, juveniles
and adults the mediums and larges to praying mantis species over 3 inches long.
- Rice flour Beetle Larvae -One of the best feeders to purchase WITH your mantis egg case because if the ootheca (egg case)
hatches early, at least you'll have something on hand until your flightless fruit flies arrive. Also, the Rice Flour Beetle Culture
lasts for months with no maintenance, so it will be on hand in case you run out of flies.
- Fruit Fly Larvae - Our Fruit Fly Larvae are juicy, soft-bodied, wiggly larvae that most all little pets LOVE!
- Superworms - At over 1 1/2 inch long, superworms are only for large adults!
- Other Insects - Although we don't sell the items available in your garden,
we would be remiss in not telling you that there is living food for your praying mantis there as well. Gnats, garden caterpillars, aphids, flies and grubs all make appropriate meals.
If you run across something too big and aren't too squeamish, you can grind it up and hand feed it to your mantis pets.
What's for dinner?
LIVE FRUIT FLIES:
D. Melanogaster Wingless Fruit Flies
D. Hydei Flightless Fruit Flies
Fruit Fly Culture Kits
FRUIT FLY CULTURING SUPPLIES:
Fruit Fly Culture Kits
Fruit Fly Culture Feeding Media
Methyl Paraben Mold Inhibitor
Culture Containers and Lids
Poly Fabric Insect Lids
Fruit Fly Culture Perching Mesh
Extra Small Silkworms
Praying Mantis Kits
Living Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis Egg Case
Praying Mantis Enclosure
Superworm Bedding / Food
Superworm Breeding Kits
Flightless Fruit Fly Larvae
Rice Flour Beetles & Larvae
"No Bugs M'Lady" Shelf Paper
"Bug Kill" Shelf Paper
BE SURE TO HAVE FOOD ON HAND BEFORE THE EGG CASE HATCHES. Praying mantises are voracious eaters.
Many folks are caught off guard without food and their babies end
up dying. We recommend the d. Melanogaster wingless fruit flies for newly hatched nymphs and d. Hydei flightless fruit flies
for feeding after 2-3 weeks.
Once hatched, the babies will soon begin stalking prey.
Our flightless fruit flies, mini silkworms and
rice flour beetle larvae also make
appropriate feeders for the baby mantises.
As they grow, feed them larger items, such as fly larvae and larger silkworms.
Just feed them, keep them warm and give them space as they grow and you'll
have full-grown adults in no time.
You can even teach them tricks and hand feed them crushed up silkworms. YUM!